The Montavilla Food Cooperative started in 2010 as a simple idea to bring the kind of food we wanted to buy year-round to the Montavilla neighborhood. Since that time, we have been building community support through memberships and engagement and are excited at the prospect of one day opening a cooperatively owned grocery store in Montavilla!
To connect the east Portland community to healthy food, support local farmers and producers, build community wealth and advance sustainability initiatives all within a centrally located, cooperative grocery.
- Operate a full service, cooperative grocery store
- Reinforce participatory democracy in our co-op by empowering our members through leadership and training opportunities with our Board of Directors, Committees and food initiatives
- Keep more dollars in our local economy
- Provide the community with a kitchen space for food education and small business incubation
- Support nearby local businesses by working with them to attract neighbors to our business district
- Serve as a community gathering place for events, education, entrepreneurship
Photo: (c) www.fotosearch.com Stock Photography