- Montavilla Food Co-operative Shared Values Policy. MFC Policy Manual, pp. 14-15
- Statement on Cooperative Identity, Values, and Principles. International Cooperative Alliance, ica.coop
- Hoyt, Ann. Cooperative Principles Updated. CBL 101 Reader, p. 19
- Pobihuschchy, Sidney. The Co-operative Values – Their Meaning and Practical Significance. CBL 101 Reader, p. 25
A Message from the MFC Education Chair
October 12, 2015
Greetings Co-operators, Friends, and Allies!
The purpose of co-op education is to raise members’ deep awareness of what is going on in the world and how the co-op values can effectively make a difference by providing a way for people to: work together to control their affairs democratically; and distribute their income equitably. My all volunteer job (click here for a full job description) as Education Chair is to organize, develop, and implement the co-op’s education program focused on directors, volunteers, (eventual) workers and members of the co-op.
To carry out this program, I will facilitate a series of discussions based on educational articles relevant to co-ops, co-op startups, and board governance – Here is the Syllabus for the 2015-2016 series of discussions.
I also want to encouraging co-op directors and volunteers to attend key seminars, conferences, and other co-op educational opportunities. Let me know what I can to to help! Here are links to some key upcoming co-operative educational opportunities for directors and volunteers:
- September 20-22, 2015 – Western Worker Cooperative Conference; Berkley, California
- September 26, 2015 – CBL 101; Cooperative Development Services; Sacramento, California
- September 26, 2015 – Leadership Training; Cooperative Development Serivces; Sacramento, California
- October 17, 2015 – Cooperative Cafe; Cooperative Development Services; Hood River, Oregon
- February 5 – 7, 2016 – Cultivating Cooperative Roots Conference; Northwest Cooperative Development Center; Spokane, Washington
- March 10 – 12, 2016 – Up & Coming – Up & Running Food Co-op Conference; Indiana Cooperative Development Center; Bloomington, Indiana
Please email me with comments, questions or concerns about co-op education. I look forward to listening and learning together about co-ops, so that we may build the best possible Montavilla Food Co-op.
Scott McCormick, Education Chair